#43 - Eating Bugs
I have previously expressed myself on the subject of bugs and the eating of bugs . But my buddy John recently called my attention to the excellent website, Very Good Taste, and their list of 100 Foods Every Good Omnivore Should Try. The idea of the list is that people with websites will copy the 100 items, bold the things they've eaten, and also indicate any items they'd never even try.
Honestly, I would like to be the kind of fearless person who will eat anything, and while I'm a pretty brave eater, there are certain lines I won't cross. Bugs represent the starkest of those lines and they're the only thing on this list I wouldn't eat. (I would also decline a cigar and cognac, but that's only because I don't smoke.)
Here are my results. Things I've eaten are in bold, things I haven't tried are in CAPS with my thoughts.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp 9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. BAGNA CAUDA I had to look this up. It seems it's an Italian fondue type deal where you dip raw veggies into a spicey broth. I say bring it on, baby!
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. COGNAC WITH A FAT CIGAR Can I just get two cognacs?
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat
42. WHOLE INSECTS No sir!
43. PHAAL This is supposed to be the world's spiciest curry. I'd take a crack at it.
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. FUGU That poisonous sushi fish. I'd take a chance.
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin 51. Prickly pear
52. UMEBOSHI A little red fruit that's pickled. No problemo.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. POUTINE These are French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy and eaten by Canadians. Doesn't sound wonderful, but I'd sample it.
60. Carob chips
63. KAOLIN I can't even find out what this is.
64. CURRYWUSRT A German sausage in a curry sauce. Sure. Why not?
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. ROADKILL I'd eat it. Do lobsters get hit by cars?
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong
80. BELLINI This is some kind of fruity wine drink. Bring it!
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. ROSE HARISSA A spicy South American Chili paste with rose petals. I'd give it a whirl.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Here's one more food I wouldn't eat:
Nothing about that is right. Initially, I assumed this was a product manufactured in China and the name was just some kind of translation mangling, but it turns out this comes from ENGLAND! What the hell?
PS: Just for kicks, from my Bro Andrew, who promises he's working on his reply to that email scammer, here's an interesting, sort of racist, anti-racism toothpaste ad from Japan. Enjoy!
Posted by Chris Connolly